Situated about 430km from Nairobi along a highway that connects Kenya to central Africa, Busia town is the capital of Busia County. The town is an important centre for trade across the region, supporting a thriving market for farm produce and poultry products. HIV and Aids are rife in Busia town owing to a huge number of sex workers who frequent the town in search of moneyed business men and truck driver on their way to and from central Africa
It is located in Busia County, approximately 451 kilometres (280 mi), by road, northwest of Nairobi, Kenya's capital and largest city. This location is immediately east of Busia, Uganda. The coordinates of Busia, Kenya are: 00°27'48.0"N, 34°06'19.0"E (Latitude: 0.463333; Longitude:34.105278). the town sits at an average elevation of 1,227 metres (4,026 ft), above sea level.
One of the elements that brought Busia town to prominence is fact it is a border crossing. It has one of the official points that people cross to Uganda from Kenya, and the vice versa. Plenty of trade and people ply this route. Both side of the divide the town shares the same name in both countries.
For a border crossing and transport hub of its magnitude receiving all manner of traffic; human, trade and otherwise, Busia is a mellow place. Traffic comes from a variety of places; Kisumu, Nairobi, Eldoret and as far as Mombasa, naming a few, it is a quiet place.
JOB DESCRIPTION/DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR MUNICIPAL MANAGER
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of the Municipality’s Integrated Urban Development Plan (IUDP).
- Strategic management of the effective and efficient provision of services to the local community to ensure that services are delivered in a sustainable and equitable manner.
- Responsible and accountable for various financial management duties as accounting officer of the Municipality and to ensure accountability of the Municipality’ finance.
- Develop and monitor policies at the strategic management level to ensure its purposefulness and efficiency.
- Board CEO and the advisor to the Board of Management.
- Head of the Executive of the Municipality.
- Secretary to the Board of Management.
- Administer and Regulate the Board’s Internal Affairs.
- Establish, implement and monitor Performance Management System.
- Oversee the collection of rates, taxes, levies, duties, fees and surcharges as fees as delegated by the County Government.
- Responsible for development and manage schemes, site development in collaboration with the relevant National and County Government.